Saturday, November 22, 2008

Living History Farm Run


I ran my first cross country race today. 7 miles through forest and creeks. It was in Iowa, and it was freezing. A perfect opportunity to wear my awesome orange hunting/running cap my husband got me last Christmas. My outfit was horrendous, and I was almost embarrassed, but I was too warm to care. But I looked fab. We stayed in a fun hotel overnight with the fam. and my mom. Just wanted to blog real quick about the race...well my thoughts cause' those are the best part I think.

"I'm not even really cold."-This was before the race. It was freezing, but I had dressed so warm it didn't really even bother me.

"You know that guys cold."-He was dressed as an Indian with only a loin cloth on.

"He's going to be wishing he wasn't carrying that shield and javelin at mile 3." then after the race "How did he get up those ravines with that shield and javelin. If I were him I would have thrown it into the forest."-He was dressed as Spartacus and before the race screamed out that line from the movie. It was funny.

"I really wish someone were running this race with me."-It really does suck having to be by yourself at one of these events. I'm not doing it alone again.

"I better go pee." "Great. There's no toilet paper. If I wanted pee in my pants I would have gone in a bush."

"9 creek crossings?? I thought it was only 3?"-Info being given over the loud speaker before the race.

"Here we go." Jammin out to the Twilight soundtrack.

"Ok...mile 1 at 8:47. Maybe I can keep this pace."

"the hat and gloves have to go because I'm over heating."

"That is a lot of rolling hills. I really need to get this jacket off."

"Great. Horse poop."

"First crossing. I think I'll go over to where those rocks are. Crap. The rocks are iced over. Just don't break your ankle. K. Got over that one with only my right foot getting submerged."

"I can't feel my right foot."

"More rolling hills. I'll be lucky if I finish this race in 1hr20min. My lungs feel like they are caving in there so cold." "Crap that wind is cold, but at least I'm cooling off."

"Great. Cow poop."

"People are yelling and cheering. Another creek crossing. There's no way to keep my feet dry this time. Crap that's cold. When I blog about this I'm going to have to edit my thoughts. And my lips are going numb so I'm not responsible for the words they are mouthing. My feet are numb"



"Have I passed mile 5 yet? I hope I'm landing on my feet right because I can't feel them and I don't want to break my ankle"



"Another creek crossing. I was just beginning to feel my feet again. Ok. There's rocks for this one. Got a clear path...don't fall. Great. Use the roots to get up the side. Holy crap I gotta run up that??? I can barely see sky! Keep going. Grab onto the rope and pull yourself up. Come on girl in front of me...use some muscles. Wow that was steep, and now I get to run up some more rolling hills."

"There are no flat parts of this race so stop wishing for some. It's up and down. Up and down. Just run"

"I really didn't want to see those guys butts. Why are they wearing g-strings??"

"These downward slopes of these ravines are insane. Should I sit down and slide for this one? They are just running down, but I still can't feel my feet"

"Another creek crossing. Knee deep. Just jump in and get to the other side and up the side. Now my knees are frozen, and there is another steep climb out of this ravine. No ropes. Use the roots and the trees to pull yourself out."

"I haven't seen the sign for mile 6 yet. I'm defiantly not keeping a 9min mile pace."

"I have to turn up this steep hill without slipping?"

"Another creek crossing (x5 more times)"

"There are a whole lot of people stuck in that ditch of mud. Where am I going to climb out? That was easy...What is their problems?"

"Mile 6 one more mile...Great. More rolling hills. My times not that bad. I can keep this respectable"

"This is like having a baby. You wonder why you decided to do this, but know you're going to do it again because it's so amazing! But boy does it suck in the moment."

"Thank goodness I have been doing hills on the treadmill"

"I see the end. Wow that last mile went fast. That was a 9 minute mile and I can't feel my feet."

"7 cross country miles in 1 hour and 6 min. Not too bad considering I can't feel my legs"

"Now I have to take that stupid timing chip off my shoe. Why did I lace it through my laces. My freakin shoe laces are frozen over with ice (they seriously were)."

"Better put my jacket and gloves and hat back on."

"No I don't want a doughnut! But I'll take some water."

"Crap that was intense, but I'm impressed with my time."

"I just want a warm shower."

Get in the car and on the way back to the hotel my mom tells me everyone has had their showers and baths. What would be the thought that would come into your head? Here's what came into mine, "There's not going to be any hot water." And there wasn't. But I did get to go to a health spa and soak in the hot tub. That felt nice. I still can't believe how intense that run was. It was so awesome and so much fun!! Check out their web-site to get some pictures

http://www.fitnesssports.com/November_races/LivHistFarms/lhf_index.html

Here's a video of a past race so you can get SOME idea of how it was. Anytime we weren't in the woods it was either uphill or downhill to another hill.
http://www.fitnesssports.com/LHF%20MovieMPEG-1.mpg

I'll be there next year so if this sounds fun to you let me know! I haven't had that much dirty, intense fun since basic training. It was great!!

Now it's time to watch Utah beat BYU, and then after go see Twilight! What a fun day!!!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't even know what to say...you seriously impress me. I like the way you posted your thoughts, it gave such a great perspective. Way to go! You Rock!!

amberjill said...

so, next year, huh!?!? they say hind sight is 20/20...I think you might need to get your vision checked!! :) nice job!

Natalie said...

wow, I'm impressed! I love that you shared your thoughts as you went, it was great fun to read. Take care!

Rebecca said...

Wow, I'm amazed. You must really like to run! It looks crazy but I'm glad you did it. Woo hoo!

Julie said...

um...if that was an attempt to get me to run with you I think you may have finally lost it!

Sally said...

I love the comment about it being like having a baby...it was totally the best way to explain why you would want to do that!

Michelle said...

Amazing - I'm so impressed! I don't know how you do it! I ran 3 miles once - on the treadmill - and thought I was going to die. That was the first and last time I ran that far. Good job!!!!!!

Jenn said...

Yeah RIGHT...Fun day? The only fun part is the BIG game and movie.
Wow I had a lot of respect for you before but you are at a whole nother level in my book. WAY TO GO!

Tamra said...

You are amazing. Luckily I have no desire to be amazing. Don't you remember how your feet were frozen and youre gonna do it again? Do you have frostbite or anything serious from the cold?? Congrats.

youreprettytoo said...

So I'm really late on making this comment, but that is awesome. that day I talked to you you mentioned you were doing this race, but I don't think I had any idea what it entailed. But really did go"over the river and through the woods" x5! Your thoughts were hilarous!

Liz King Bradley said...

WOW! I can hardly run a mile, you're awesome. I havent seen you since You and Megan and I wnet to the Hogle Zoo with our kids, like 6 years ago. You must be doing pretty well. I think of you fairly often. You should check out my blog. Anyway, back to your awesome race. I can't believe you did that in that cold. We lived near Iowa for a few years and the cold is REALLY intense. You are awesome!!!

Katrina said...

You are so darn awesome!