When I was a kid I used to love love love books. I carried around books like some kids carry around stuffed animals, and I still have many of them to this day. I was going through all my stuff the other day and came across my old books, and decided today I wanted to make a visual list of all the books I remember loving as a kid. They were a big part of my childhood and I even taped pieces of paper with a number on the backs of them to create my own library. I have copies of most of these books and have even had to scan a few covers in. I hope somebody out there sees a book they remember as a kid that they haven't seen in 20+ years!

These two used to be my most favoritest ever. I'm not sure why, but they were. The Lincoln one is just a history book with old photos and I remember just sitting there looking at the pictures. My name "Jemmy" is even written on the front page. I don't know why I couldn't write Jenny because if you can write a m you can make a n. Anyways. My mom likes to tell the story of how I would sit and stare at the picture of the Lincoln Memorial and say, "Nincoln could not under-tand." I'm still a big history lover today.

Does anyone remember watching that movie Rikki Tikki Tavi??






Charlot's Web was the first chapter book-well long one anyways-that I read followed by Island of the Blue Dolphins. Island of the Blue Dolphins is great, but it's kinda depressing in a lot of ways.

When I was 5 I got my tonsils taken out, and my parents brought me this book in the hospital. Want to talk about weird...I remember, very vividly, waking up from being put under for that surgery and looking into the eyes of the other little girl that was laying on the bed next to me. I just don't understand what it is about some memories that keep them so fresh in our minds while yesterday slips away???












8 comments:
i loved your list of books. I found my favorite on there too, There is a monster at the end of this book!! I always read it expecting a different ending!
Your list of books is great - there are some I haven't read. Thanks for sharing - I am going to make a list to hunt down at the library.
Ditto on the giant jam sandwich book, and the terrible horrible, no good very bad day! Two of my favorites too.
And yeah, Dirty Dancing was how I learned about the birds and the bees. I asked my mom what "knocked up" meant and it led to a very interesting discussion. I love that movie!
There are a bunch of books on your list that I've never heard of. I'm saving your post for my next library visit. Our favorite book is "The Monster at the End of this Book". My kids have it memorized and chant along with me while we read it.
well you made up for the last post not having pictures didnt you?!
I recently read The Island of the Blue Dolphin and The Pearl (I think) also by O'dell, with my then 7 year old. It brought back so many memories. I loved your list, I remember many of them from my childhood.
I think we are kindred spirits! I use to take books and puzzles to bed with me too when I was little. Several of your favorites are mine as well. i especially love "Miss Nelson is Missing."
...Exorcist?
That show must not be scary to kids or something, because you're like the third or fourth person who watched that when they were little, and thought nothing of it. I, on the other hand, watched it in the day, with people, and I still get the chills when I think about it.
Loved the book list, too, and was surprised to find many of my faves on there.
Post a Comment