Sunday, March 15, 2009

I started this a long long long time ago...so I'm going to post it.

It's freezing here. I'm freezing my butt off. Today it was 20 with a wind chill factor of 10. The wind blows so dang hard that today my earring holes were cold. I had people telling me that the winters were bitter, but I guess I couldn't really understand because I've never been this cold before. Last year they canceled school because it was -10 with a windchill factor of -30! That is COLD! I can handle the cold it's the wind that just gets under your skin and chills your bones. Plus there is actually humidity here to make the air a little wet so it's just nasty cold, and I'm not leaving my house on days like today unless it's on fire. I wanted to post today about my fun daughter Cora, and how much we love having her dynamic self around. She loves to have a good time, and laugh, and often times finds it very hard to focus on serious things, like school work, without daydreaming about the game she will be playing at recess. Most of her recess games involve imaginative worlds and characters. I recently read that children who feel controlled are really big into make believe play. I'm not sure how much I believe that because Cora is ALWAYS creating some pretend game to play, and I don't think I'm that controlling...Maybe I should take a closer look at myself, or stop reading all that "professional" junk. Whatever. She is very dramatic, and has been since she was little. She loves to draw, and I wish I knew how to help her develop that talent, but I am horrible. Here is a Thanksgiving picture she drew:

She is so creative. The other day we were in my bathroom as I was putting up her hair. She held up the big hairball I had just cleaned out of the brush and asked very seriously:

"Is this your armpit hair?" I think she got her parent's armpits confused (although some days my pits are pretty scary).

The other day she came home from school with this: "Mom...Do you think this is child abuse? There is a girl at school whose mom and dad are separated and she only gets to see her dad 2 weeks out of the year. That's child abuse right?" I won't comment on that one of hers, but I think she's on to something. I'm so thankful for her and all she does for our family. I love you Cora and we are so proud of you.

6 comments:

Julie said...

We looked at Cora's pic magnified this morning with all the kids on my lap. They love that both guns are shooting the turkey. She really is good at drawing and I don't think you are controlling at all! Don't read that TRASH...its to make people feel better about themselves when they have boring children!

So now that you have blogged twice, does that mean you will start blogging more often now?

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca said...

It is so good to hear from/about you. Is Cora's hair shorter? I'm glad you aren't growing your pit hair. That would be a little much. It might go well with the dreds that DJ had. I am very excited to have you here in May. I was tempted to comment on your next blog but I don't know what to make, silly I know. Maybe when your here we will have to make something together.

Sally said...

I really want to post on your last blog but I have to consider if I am ready to make a commitment to sending 3 people a handmade thing. It's not actually making a handmade something because I can do that without leaving my house, it's getting to the post office to send something that's the problem!

Keep posting, I love your thoughts. And I agree with Julie, don't believe everything you read about raising kids. The magazines only quote the experts when they say something their readers want to hear.

youreprettytoo said...

I miss and love and think about you too. i am so glad to hear you are coming out in May because I still feel bad about not really seeing you back in December except to be Julie's stocking slaves!:)

Karl, Meg, and kids said...

I'm commenting on this one because I would be afraid of getting something homemade from you! I loved your blog about Cora.

We just drove home for a quick trip to UT for Karl's little sister's wedding and I thought of you as we drove threw NE. And my thought led to this summer we are going back again, much to Karl's dismay, but I think we should stop there on the way back or the way there and spend a couple days with you guys. It's mid July that my family will be having their reunion so just after the 4th of July weekend we will go and go home the 3rd week in July or something like that. What do you think? are you going to be around? It would be way fun to spend some tie with you guys! Let me know.