I love getting Jorie out of her crib!! I took a video to post, but my computer is so slow I stopped the download after 16 hours. I'll go to Amber's house soon to put those on.
I love how Garret can play a game by himself and for someone else. He will take turns for A.J. and get so excited when A.J. is winning. "You're going to win AJ!! You got the ice-cream cone!! Two blues!!" (Candy Land)
There is a story I like about Pres. Hinckley's Grandfather, Ira Hinckley. For me it is fun reading about Pres. Hinckley's ancestors because I've realized how much of an influence one generation can have on the others. Ira was called by Brigham Young to build a fort in the middle of nowhere, and that's what he was involved in at the time of this story. It was said of Ira by his son Frank, "I think I have never seen as good a man as he was. He preached the loudest by practice and the last by noise or talk of any man I ever knew." From the book: "His sons Alonzo, Frank, and Ed were partial toward a pair of high-spirited chestnut-sorrel horses that had exceptional pulling capacity. One day they used the team to haul a load of hay so heavy that the wheels cut through the sod. As the three witnessed the team's strength, Frank said to his brothers, "Don't let Father know what we think of these horses or he will turn them in for tithing." The following week, while the boys were again working the team, Ira joined them in the field and mentioned to Frank, "Isn't that a fine span of horses?" "The best span of horses we've had," Frank replied. "Well, I want you to shine them up," his father said. "I have turned them in for tithing.""
Those horses could be used to help build the fort, but it was more than that I think. It was a personal sacrifice full of faith, the kind we are all faced with often in our own lives. That's what I got out of it anyways. I'm sure everyone can get something a little different!!
7 comments:
I don't know if I could sacrifice like Ira Hinckley. That's impressive!
I love that Garret plays a game for A.J. and is happy when he wins. I need to work on helping my boys be gracious winners and losers. They're both pretty competitive.
Great story. Looking forward to the video of Jorie. I miss her and everyone.
Thanks for the story. Grant has to give a talk Sunday about tithing. I think he can use it!
Did you buy the Biography? Can I borrow it when you are finished?
Yes, it is amazing how much faith and sacrifice past generations had to endure. Boy have times changed. So I have a cat that I am willing to give away as a donation, do you think the Bishop with accept it as a tithing offering? j/k LOL
I love your stories about your kids. Why are mom's always so obsessed with their children? I know I am overly consumed by mine.
I love to write all the fun stuff about my kids because I love them yes, but I'm also afraid I'm going to forget 85% of everything by the time I'm 30. And Jen, let me know if the Bishop takes your cat because I have one to donate as well!! That's funny.
Post a Comment